During the lesson, I learnt how to create heads on cubes. I used the software on Photoshop and Cinema 4D. I have use photoshop and cinema 4D before but not like this and it was really exciting to learn this stuff much more thoroughly.
First for all, I took photos of one in my classmates by using photo booth on iMac. Took photos from various views: front face, right side, left side, back and top. In Photoshop I uploaded the images and placed them on a cube shape. I used different types of photoshop tools to do this.
- Take some photos in flat lighting, front, side, back, top
- In photoshop new document 4000 x 2000
- Add guides to show 4 x 2 grid
- Add in images to the grid scale to fill each square – be sure they line up
- Crop, delete, clone tool, dodge and burn to blend to one image
- Separate the image into square jpg files for each side of the cube
I had to follow these precise instructions to create the head on a cube and without these points it would have been tough because if you get any photo shot or measurement wrong the cube would have been out f proportion and the face most likely lopsided or even part of it missing!
It was easy to use the face in photoshop because they were quick tools to use.
I created a cube and uploaded the images into Cinema 4D
Used the different tools….
More instructions to follow:
- New c4d document – save in new folder on desktop
- Cube – 1 polygon per face
- Make editable (C)
- Drag the 5 face jpgs onto the material editor
- Say yes to dialog box – BE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT THIS MEANS
- Select front polygon – drag front material onto it – continue with other faces
Fantastic instructions and got it right first time….so happy!
This shows how I created the face cube and how I made the 27 tiny cubes by using cloner.
Love watching the cubes bounce around and watching the head go crazy. Really enjoyed this project and amazed at what photoshop and cinema 4D can do especially when you have got your thinking head on!
These images show the face cube in animate.
Downloaded the video into youtube first as the vimeo account would not set up.
Finally my vimeo account is working so here is my video again.